The other night my friend mentioned to me that she wanted a really good, bright, true red lipstick. I immediately started listing off my favorites and it occurred to me that red lipstick is kinda my thing. Now, I don’t wear it super often anymore because my husband doesn’t love it. That doesn’t mean I’m not allowed to wear it. I’m allowed, nay, encouraged to wear it whenever and whenever I want no matter what. But I REALLY enjoy the look on his face when I wear one of his favourite darker, plum/wine tone shades. Hehehehehehehe *eyebrow wiggle*
But you know what? It’s my goshdarn birthday and I’m gonna goshdarn talk about red lipstick today and wear some tonight. HB 2 ME
So yeah I have a lot. Soz not soz.
I decided to put them into three loose groups, and the emphasis IS on loose here. ALSO doing swatches on your un-tattooed right arm with your left hand is REALLY HARD so just back off.
I’m only going to link each product or group of products once, or I’d be finding links all day! If you want something and it’s not clickable, check up above to see where previous links might be. I’m doing US only links here apart from the Australis and Bourjois which are only/much easier to find in Australia. If anyone needs help sourcing things in either country, let me know.
First, let’s start with the orange-reds. This is really only something I’ve been into pretty recently and admittedly I don’t think they look THE MOST bangin’ on me but I like them so much I wear them anyway.
Here’s the swatches:
- ColourPop Ultra Matte – “Succulent” – liquid lipstick
- Sephora cream lip stain – “Mandarin Muse” – liquid lipstick
- Australis VelourLips – “San-Fran-Disco” – liquid lipstick
- Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet – “Hot Pepper” – liquid lipstick
- NARS Audacious – “Lana” – bullet lipstick
- MAC – “Lady Danger” – bullet lipstick
- Urban Decay 24/7 Lip Pencil – “Bang” – liner pencil
Next up is the brights. This is a fairly broad descriptor, I know. but it’s the largest group and I’m bad at differentiating color bases (blue-based etc). DEAL WITH IT!
- Australis VelourLips – “NY-Cee” – liquid lipstick
- Sephora cream lip stain – “Always Red” – liquid lipstick
- Kat von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick – Outlaw – liquid lipstick
- Kat von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick – Santa Sangre – liquid lipstick
- ColourPop Lippie Stix – “Frenchie” – thin bullet lipstick (+ matching pencil)
- Maybelline Color Sensational Creamy Mattes – “Siren in Scarlet” – bullet lipstick
- MAC – “Ruby Woo” – bullet lipstick
- NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil – “Dragon Girl” – thick pencil
- MAC lip pencil – “Cherry” – lip liner
And finally some darker shades. This is probably the most questionable grouping. Further notes on that below.
- Australis VelourLips – “Buda-Pash” – liquid lipstick
- Kat von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick – “Nosferatu” – liquid lipstick
- NARS Audacious – “Rita” – bullet lipstick
- Make Up For Ever Artist Intense Lipstick – “43” – bullet lipstick
- ColourPop Lippie Stix – “Fighter” – thin bullet lipstick
- YvesSaintLaurent Rouge Pur Couture– “71” – bullet lipstick
- Marc Jacobs Le Marc Lip Creme – “So Rouge” – 240
- Urban Decay Matte Revolution – “Bad Blood” – round bullet lipstick
Obviously, numbers 3 and 4 should be bumped back into the previous category in hindsight but tbh I regret nothing because they wouldn’t have fit on the “brights” arm anyway.
I want to talk a bit about different finishes. The liquid lipsticks are going to last longer, and be completely matte (no shine at all). I have eaten chicken wings and burgers (not at the same time, UNFORTUNATELY) with the Kat von D ELLs on and they stay just fine with minimal, if any touchups. Seriously they are like glue. It might be sorcery. But their drawback (and the drawback of any of them listed liquid lipsticks) is that they are drying. I don’t mind this so much because I know it makes them last longer. But if you really hate the feeling of dry lips, give up the search for bulletproof long-lasting lipstick because you’re shit out of luck my friend. Sorry! By its very nature, a creamy, moisturising lipstick just won’t last very long. You have to accept this, and learn to love retouching (this is fine).
Personally, I find shiny/moisturizing lipsticks scary because I’m worried that any tiny brush of my lip against my hand or whatever is going to smoosh it everywhere. So most of the above things are very matte, possibly with the exception of the YSL and Marc Jacobs and the MUFE Artist Intense. The NARS Audacious are still a little bit drying (because they’re matte) but they are not as drying or as long lasting as the others. So they’re kind of a good compromise. As you can tell, I’m not a huge lip liner wearer. Some people swear by it but because I wear so much liquid lipstick I just don’t need it as much.